Monday, March 29, 2010

Gooey Enchiladas

{Meatless Monday}

I got this recipe from Parents magazine--in an article about healthy variations of family favorites.  We really liked it and it was super easy to make.  It actually called for 1/2 lb. of ground beef, but I substituted our Textured Vegetable Protein.  I am getting more used to it and starting to use it more often.  Lon cooked some up for our dinner last night, and when I got in the fridge this morning, I saw a whole bowl of pre-cooked TVP.  It is going to be so easy to just toss it into meals this week.  I thought that was a great idea to have it ready to go!

Here's what you need:



2 tsp olive oil
1 small yellw onion, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 14 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1/2 tsp. ground coriander (I didn't have this)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup textured vegetable protein --in the little white ramekin    (We buy ours in bulk at the Health food store...we boil it in water with a little seasoning, but then when you throw it in your recipe, it just takes on the taste of the dish, like tofu.)
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
NOTE:  I also added a can of corn at the last minute!
8 corn tortillas (I ended up filling about 11-12 tortillas with my mixture)
1 1/4 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350*.
Saute onion in oil for 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.  Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin, oregano, and pepper; cook for a few minutes longer.  The finished sauce will be chunky.  Stir in cilantro.


Meanwhile, prepare TVP and drain.
                        This is what ours looks like.  The texture is like very small pieces of chicken.

Then stir in black beans and corn.  Warm the tortillas in oven for about 5 minutes to make them easier to roll.  Spread 1/2 cup sauce into 9X13 pan.  Divide bean mixture into all the tortillas and sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the cheese.  Roll each enchilada and place seam side down in dish.  Pour remaining sauce over the top and bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes.  Sprinkle on remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, and bake another 5 minutes until melted.

They were very delicious and had a very fresh flavor with the cilantro.  I am excited to have an enchilada variation to put in my rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment