Monday, March 22, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Pie

{Meatless Monday}

OK...here is the recipe that used the parsnip...and I loved it!  I have decided that I LOVE roasted vegetables! They are so flavorful and tender...yum.


I only have a photo of MOST of the items you need:
(I have been seriously busy lately...)

1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes  ( I used yellow squash)
2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 cup baby carrots (I just used regular and chopped into large disks)
1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1" pieces
2 T olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup vegetable broth ( I used chicken broth---I really need to go shopping for a good vegetable base!)
1 T cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 T plain bread crumbs
(This didn't seem like enough "gravy" so I pretty much doubled the broth/cornstarch and then just added a little more bread crumbs into the mix.)

1 double pie crust, uncooked (I ALWAYS make homemade and just in the last 6 months, I've gotten brave enough to make whole wheat pie crusts...and they are YUMMY!  I will post my recipe as soon as I get some time.)
2 T grated parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten with 1 T water


Heat oven to 450*.  Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, squash, parsnips, carrots, and red pepper.  Toss with olive oil and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.  Spread on baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway.  ( I ended up sprinkling on some italian seasoning, garlic, and seasoning salt...just to flavor these a little more!)


Oh, and by the way, when you open your oven to put in the vegetables, be careful...because your recipe might be swept off the top of your oven and land inside the oven on the element and burst into flames.

Seriously...I am sure it would have been pretty funny to someone watching...but it wasn't funny to me....at the time.  ; )  Luckily, I had already finished using the ingredients that it burned away!

Meanwhile, whisk together the broth and cornstarch in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer 3-5 minutes until thickened.  Add thyme, oregano, and remaining 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.  In a large bowl, toss roasted vegetables, sauce, and bread crumbs.

These are my veggies after roasting...

And this is the whole mixture in my bottom pie crust...
I just LOVE how colorful and beautiful these veggies are!
Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.
Cover with second pie crust, cut a few slits, and brush on the egg/water mixture.  (Don't put too much...just enough to give it a little shine.)  This makes it turn out golden and crispy on top.


Bake at 450* for 15 minutes.  Lower heat to 425* and bake for another 30 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.

I followed their cooking instructions and the edges of my crust came out completely burnt!  So I would say you should at least cover the edges with foil for all but the last 15 minutes.  Or you could just bake it at about 375* for 35-40 minutes...that would probably work too.  Just watch the edges...they are always the first to burn.  I just cut mine off and it was fine.

I really liked the flavor of this pie.  The sauce is very light and just had a mild herb flavor and I really enjoyed the new flavor of parsnips...at least in this pie.  I've never had them in any other form.

We had this with my FAVORITE salad ever:

Recipe also still to come!!  I served this at the Teacher's dinner this last week and we've just been enjoying some leftovers.  Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment