Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Bruschetta

Oops...sort of missed "Meatless Monday" this week.  Sorry.  It has been a busy time around here.  I am in the middle of multiple house projects and on top of all of it--not sleeping well at all.  This morning I woke up at 3:55 am (after 6 hours of sleep) and literally laid in bed for 3 hours more with NO more sleep.  I am exhausted beyond description!  But the day goes on, and I'm off to the gym for what I'm sure will be a very sluggish workout...but, oh well.

I thought I would quickly post this little recipe.  It was quite yummy.

Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Bruschetta

3 heads garlic
2 T  (plus 1 tsp.) olive oil
2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 T parsley
12 mushrooms (it called for shiitake, but I used crimini)
4 slices rustic Italian bread

Break off two cloves of garlic from one of your garlic heads.  Chop finely and reserve for later.  Trim the tops off of each garlic head, exposing the tops of cloves.  Place heads on foil, drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, and season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp. thyme.  Wrap tightly in foil and roast in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.  (Your house will smell AMAZING!!  I did this on fast sunday and it was KILLING me!)  Squeeze out garlic and discard heads.



Mix the unroasted garlic with the lemon zest, parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Place mushrooms on a baking sheet and toss with 2 T. olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. thyme.  Roast at 400 for 12 minutes (when I make this again, I am just going to saute them in a skillet--my mushrooms got really dry in the oven).
Sprinkle with garlic/lemon/parsley mixture.
Spread roasted garlic on bread slices, top with mushrooms and broil for 3-5 minutes.
I sprinkled a little grated parmesan on top...I always love parmesan!

I think that mine were dry because I only had one garlic head for all of this bread.  The original recipe (as you can see above) calls for 3 whole heads of roasted garlic to just 4 slices of bread--so you really want to slather the garlic on there.  And I think next time I will cut my bread a little thinner and just barely broil them.

No comments:

Post a Comment