Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

{Meatless Monday}


I don't actually have a recipe for this one, but I'll try to tell you what I did.

Boil one bag (12-16 ounces) of large elbow macaroni according to directions...drain.

While the noodles boil, make a basic white sauce...3-4 T of butter/shortening melted, then add 4-5 T of flour.  I make it with more flour so that I can add a little more milk at the end.  One trick I have learned to improve flavor is to REALLY BROWN this stuff.  Don't burn it, but keep stirring until it is all golden to medium brown.

Whisk in milk....I just add milk about 1 cup at a time until it is the consistency that I want.  Probably 
2 1/2 to 3 cups...not really sure!

I added about 2 cups of grated cheeses...I had cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack.  I really recommend the pepper jack...it just adds a little kick to the flavor.  I also added some garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper.


Stir sauce into noodles and pour into 9X13 pan.    Top with seasoned bread crumbs and grated cheese. 


Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes.


We had this with our breadsticks.  I am posting them separately.  They are DELICIOUS and so soft...they are always a huge hit.  We actually got on a little kick last week and made them 3 times!  ; 0
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment