Monday, May 3, 2010

Vegetable Pot Pie with Biscuit top

This is one of those recipes that I just throw together, so I will try to write down amounts as close as possible... ; )

This is what you'll need:

2-3 Potatoes, peeled and diced
2-3 Carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, chopped
4-6 mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cup frozen peas
bouillon cubes/powder (I am finally getting a vegetarian bouillon...yeah...my sister ordered it on her co-op for me!)

butter
flour
milk
basil
salt and pepper



Saute mushrooms 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.  Set aside.


Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in about 4 cups of water with 2 bouillon cubes.  Boil until tender.  Add frozen peas for final 5-7 minutes of boiling time. 
I forgot to toss mine in, so I just microwaved them until they were warm.  ; )

Drain vegetables, but KEEP THE DRAINED LIQUID!! You will use this in your cream sauce.  It has so much flavor and little bits of the veggies.



 To make a white sauce, I always start with 2-3 T of butter in a saucepan.  Melt and let it slightly brown.  Add in 4-5 T of flour, until you have a thicker paste.  Then I let this brown.  I have found that this gives a white sauce SO much more flavor.  You don't want to burn it...just let it sit for a minute and then give it a little stir, then let it sit again to brown on the bottom.  Then you whisk in your liquid and milk to get your desired consistency.  I use about 1/2 milk,  1/2 veggie water.  Then add in your salt and pepper, basil, and any other seasonings you like.  I often use rosemary, italian seasoning, or seasoning salt.  Whatever sounds good to you!


Add the mushrooms to your drained vegetables and then pour sauce over them and stir.


Put mixture in an 8X8 pan and top with a 1/2 inch layer of biscuit dough.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes until top is nice and browned.

I am sure everyone has a simple biscuit recipe.  I like to make buttermilk biscuits and I use mostly shortening, but I also cut in at least 2-3 T of cold butter to help it be more flaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment