Monday, May 31, 2010

Moroccan Carrot Soup

{Meatless Monday}

I got this recipe from my sister.  It is very different than any recipe I've ever tried.  It has a lot of flavor and is a nice break from our pasta/rice/tortilla rotation!

Here's what you need:

2 T butter or olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound large carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 1/2 cups veggie or chicken broth
1 T honey
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (I only used about 1 tsp)
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup plain yogurt or milk

Saute onion in butter or oil until translucent.

Mix in carrots and broth and bring to boil.  Simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.  Remove soup from heat and puree in blender until smooth.  Return to pan and whisk in honey, lemon juice, cumin, allspice, and yogurt or milk.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Eat as a bowl of soup, or serve over rice.


I think this soup could be even yummier with the right toppings...but I'm not sure what those are yet.  Maybe some homemade wheat croutons...a little sour cream...something to add just a little pizazz.  I do like that it has a very simple, fresh flavor to it.

I must admit that most of my kids didn't LOVE it...they endured it.  My three year old told me he didn't want any poop in his bowl...NO JOKE!!  I just gave him a tiny little bit with plain rice and he got over it.  Oh, and my mother-in-law who was visiting said she was having an "adventure" every night at our dinner table.  Ha!  What does that mean?? ; )  I just laughed and told her that I KNOW we eat really differently than most people.  She did admit that this soup tasted very healthful...that was before she got hold of the salt shaker.  ; P

No comments:

Post a Comment