Monday, May 17, 2010

Chili-Cheese Hashbrowns

This recipe came about because I had planned on having Chili and Baked Potatoes...but I really didn't feel like a big baked potato.  So I decided to make some quick hashbrowns...they're so much yummier anyway...lots of flavor on a little piece of potato and a little crispy-ness.
I figured if people can have Chili-Cheese French Fries, then we could certainly do the same thing with hashbrowns!

I really liked this...it was yummy, and filling, and QUICK!  And things always taste better to the cook who didn't have to slave over it!
This is all you need:

Potatoes (I have the hardest time getting through a bag!  We just don't eat them that often!)
Cheese
Vegetarian Chili

I just microwave my potatoes for 8-9 minutes in the microwave (five small potatoes).  I have a splatter cover in my microwave, and I like to put that over my potatoes so they don't dry out.  You could always bake the potatoes in the oven...that is, if you are better than I am and actually think about dinner before 5 PM! ; )

 Then I chop them into small pieces and fry them with a little olive oil, butter, and seasoning salt.


 As you fry them, don't stir them too often...let them sit for a couple minutes and then stir so that they can brown on all sides and get a little crispy on the outside....yum!

Heat up the canned chili and top the hashbrowns with chili, cheese, and a little sour cream or diced onion, if desired.
My kids all liked this...once I convinced my little one that hashbrowns were just little chunks of french fries! ; )
Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting concept Rebecca. I think my little one might need convincing about the chili, as he'll eat anything fried - especially potatoes!

    ReplyDelete