Monday, April 26, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini

{Meatless Monday}

I am becoming increasingly forgetful about taking any shots of the ingredients.  It has been a while since I have leisurely cooked anything!  It seems I am always up against the clock to get our dinner on the table.  Oh well, I guess that's just how life is...I will try to accept it.  I just DO NOT understand how the Pioneer Woman can homeschool her 4 kids, blog about 6 posts a day, bake and cook up a storm, go out and brand a few cattle, and still take a picture every 6.5 seconds to document it all!

Here's what you need for these VERY YUMMY stuffed zucchinis:

 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
ground pepper
7.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Preheat oven to 475*.  Using a small spoon, scoop out zucchini centers to form "canoes", leaving a 1/4 inch border.  Roughly chop centers.  Set aside.

Arrange zucchini cut sides down on baking sheet.  Bake 15 minutes.  


Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium.  Add onion and 1/2 tsp. pepper.  Cook for 3-5 minutes.  Add chopped zucchini, and cook about 8 minutes, until liquid is mostly evaporated.  Remove from heat and let cool slightly.  Stir in feta and tomatoes.

Turn zucchini canoes cut side up and fill with mixture and bake until top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.   Before cooking:

And after cooking:
These were so flavorful...of course, I absolutely love feta cheese! You could substitute another soft cheese.  Really small cubes of pepper jack would be yummy...maybe I'll have to try that!

I spent about $4 on one little container of grape tomatoes and next time I think I would just buy the cheapest tomatoes and chop them into small pieces.  It wouldn't be quite as pretty, but it would save a couple of dollars!

Enjoy!  Let me know if you try any super yummy variations!

No comments:

Post a Comment