Monday, April 19, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

{Meatless Monday}

Hawaii was amazing!!  I uploaded my favorite pictures onto my Facebook page.  It was so relaxing and wonderful.  We are finally getting back into regular life.

Here's a recipe we enjoyed a few weeks back.  It is a crock pot recipe...so you have to think ahead a little, but then all the work is done and you can go on with your day!  ; )

1 head cauliflower, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn (I think I used one can, drained)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
3 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or any mix you want)
1 16 oz. jar tomatillo salsa (couldn't find it anywhere...so I used a mild green chile enchilada sauce mixed with some homemade salsa)
6 flour tortillas
Sour cream (optional)

Combine in a bowl: cauliflower, tomatoes, beans, corn and cilantro.  Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin and stir to combine.


Spray crock pot with cooking spray.  Spread a scant 3 cups of cauliflower mixture over the bottom of crock pot, then sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and a generous 1/2 salsa.  Cover with 1-2 tortillas.

Repeat layering two more times.  Cut the last 1-2 tortillas into strips and scatter over top.



Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hrs.  or  LOW for 5 1/2 hours.  Until cauliflower is tender.  Top with remaining cheese and cook another 20 minutes to melt cheese.  Let sit 10 minutes.  Scoop out and top with sour cream. 

I forgot to get a picture of the end result...but I don't think it would have been very photogenic.  It was definitely something you just scooped out of the crock pot with a big spoon.

I really liked this recipe...easy, quick, and a little different than what I've made before.  My husband doesn't love cauliflower...so it was not his favorite! ; )

Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment