Monday, November 30, 2009

Penne with Broccoli

{Meatless Monday}

This is another recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday Food.  I was starting to throw it together when I noticed that it was under the heading of "Cooking for One"...oops, definitely not going to work for all 7 of us!  So I quickly made some alterations and it turned out surprisingly well.

Here's what you need:


12 oz. penne or other short pasta
1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
1-2 T olive oil
1 medium red onion, cut into thin slivers (I had to use some regular onion--I only had 1/2 of a red onion)  I wish I would have added MORE onion...they were the yummiest thing!
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup ricotta cheese, room temperature
(I flavored mine with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and garlic because my husband doesn't care for the bland flavor of ricotta...and I was really happy with how it turned out!)

Boil pasta according to directions.  Add broccoli for last 2 minutes of boiling.  Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
In pot or large skillet, heat oil and add onion and garlic.  Cook until onions are carmelized...dark brown and well cooked.  The recipe said to only saute them for a few minutes...but I think the onions get so flavorful when they are carmelized with olive oil and salt and pepper.
Add pasta water and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.

Add  pasta and broccoli, and heat through, 5-7 minutes.


Divide into bowls and top with about 2 T ricotta cheese.


The flavored ricotta was really good when I mixed it all through my own bowl.  I really enjoyed the subtle, lighter flavors of this.  We seem to always have pasta with very strong flavored spaghetti or alfredo sauce, and I really enjoyed this for a change.


This was super quick to make and I really enjoyed it.  I served it with this bread (AGAIN)--straight out of the oven.  YUM!! There is nothing like fresh, hot bread to make a meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment