Monday, November 2, 2009

Minestrone Soup

{Meatless Monday}


I got this recipe from my aunt when she gave me a few bags of her blanched/frozen summer squash. I still have one bag from last year, so I think I'm going to make a few batches of this soup over the next weeks. It was very flavorful and the broth was delicious with fresh bread!

Here's what you'll need:


1/2 med onion chopped
1 heaping tsp. minced garlic
1 T. olive oil
Saute in pot until onion is tender then add:

1 cup chopped carrots
4 stalks celery, chopped
15 oz. kidney beans, do not drain
15 oz. pinto beans, do not drain
1 large can diced/stewed tomatoes (I used one quart of my own bottled tomatoes)
pinch of Thyme
2 pinches oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups chicken stock

Bring to low boil. Then put on lowest heat for 2 hours. Stir occasionally. When ready for dinner, heat to boiling and then add:

1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini (I used frozen summer squash my aunt gave me)
2 cups elbow macaroni (I didn't have any...so I used mini bow ties.)

Boil for 10 minutes until pasta and zucchini are tender. Remove from heat and serve with bread.


This can be sped up if you don't have time to let it simmer for 2 hours. You really just need to boil it long enough for the carrots and celery to be soft...maybe 25-30 minutes? But the longer you can let it simmer, the more the flavors will mingle.

I have a favorite roll recipe that I thought I would share with this soup...they would go together perfectly! I put this roll recipe in our ward cookbook and I have been hearing from so many people how much they love them. They are very easy and relatively quick (for yeast bread). I don't have any pictures to share...but try them out and you will love them! I always just make them into little balls, but a friend of mine rolled them into crescents and they were beautiful.
(To make crescents, simply roll dough into a round. Cut long triangles (think pizza slices) and then roll from the flat edge to the point.)

90 minute rolls
1/2 cup very warm water
2 T. yeast
2 T. sugar
Mix in bowl and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

1 cup milk, scalded
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
4-5 cups flour

Combine cooled milk, salt, oil, sugar, and eggs in mixer. Add in yeast mixture. Stir in flour one cup at a time and knead lightly. Let rise (covered) in greased bowl for 35-40 minutes until doubled. Form rolls and place on cookie sheet (I dust my sheets with cornmeal). Cover and let rise 20-25 minutes. Bake at 375* for 9-11 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment