Monday, November 9, 2009

Three Bean Vegetarian Chili

{Meatless Monday}

Last night I decided to go crazy and try out 3 new recipes I've been wanting to make. So we had Three Bean Vegetarian Chili, Cheddar-Corn Spoon Bread, and Oven Baked Onion Rings.


It all turned out very delicious! (well, at least 3 of us thought so ; )

I found the chili recipe online and the two sides are from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.

Here's what you need for the chili:


oops...and this:


oh, and this:


I think trying to make 3 new recipes, take pictures of everything, and deal with 5 kids in the kitchen with the after-church munchies was just too much! I couldn't keep on top of it all...nothing new there!

2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (my jalapeno pepper disappeared in my fridge)
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes to soften vegetables. Add and stir to combine:

1 cup vegetable broth
1 32 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can black beans (I like the seasoned variety)
1 14 oz. can dark red kidney beans

Season with:
1 T ground cumin (I used slightly less)
2 T chili powder (I used about 1 1/2 Tbsp.)
1 T hot pepper sauce (I used about 1/2 T)
1 tsp course salt

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and leave at a low boil for 15 min. (I added this step so that the bell peppers would soften more...otherwise, they'll be crunchy.)

Thicken chili by stirring in...(drumroll please)....

1 15 oz. can vegetarian refried beans

I was surprised by this ingredient...I'd never stirred refried beans into a soup before...but it was delicious. It thickened it up and the soup was very flavorful and absolutely spicy enough for me. I was glad that my fridge had eaten my jalapeno, because I think it would have been too hot for me with it added in!

Top with your choice of green onions, cheese, diced tomatoes, and crushed tortilla chips.


Then I made this really yummy Cheddar-Corn Spoon Bread...it is like a cornbread, but much softer...almost like cornbread meets a quiche. All my kids really liked it.

Here's what you need:

1 T butter, plus some for greasing dish
2 cups milk (I used one cup buttermilk and 1 cup regular)
1 1/2 cup corn kernels (I used frozen...microwaved them about a minute and got the liquid off)
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
course salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (recipe actually calls for sharp white cheddar)
4 large eggs, separated

In a medium saucepan, combine butter, milk, corn, cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until mixture is thickened, 3-4 min. Remove from heat and add cheese.
Let cool about 15 minutes and add in egg yolks. Stir to combine. (I forgot this step until just before it went into the oven...hence the bold lettering, just in case you are forgetful like me!)

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Fold gently into cornmeal mixture until combined. Pour into greased dish. Reduce oven heat to 375* and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is browned on top, but still a little loose in center.

I did not get a picture of my bread when it came out of the oven, but I assure you it looked just like this picture from MarthaStewart.com! ; )

And just to make sure this is the longest blog post EVER...here's the recipe for the Baked Onion Rings.

1 1/2 cups cornflakes
1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 large egg
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into rings
2 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 450*. Crush cornflakes and combine with bread crumbs. Put on plate.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, and flour. Season with cayenne and salt and pepper.

Drizzle oil on cookie sheet and place in oven for 2 minutes to heat oil. Remove sheet and tilt to evenly coat with oil.


Dip onions in egg mixture (letting excess drip off) and dredge in cornflake mixture. Place on cookie sheet and bake, turning once, until golden brown, about 16 minutes.

All in all...a very yummy meal. All of these are recipes I will definitely make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment