Monday, November 16, 2009

Baked Ravioli and Wheat Bread

 {Meatless Monday}

Another yummy recipe from Martha Stewart Everday Food!  We all loved it and it was really easy to put together.  I just wish I could find frozen ravioli for a little bit cheaper...or I could learn how to make them, but seriously, when would I ever find time for that?

The recipe also says that you could use 1 pound spaghetti instead of the ravioli, which would be so much cheaper, but definitely not as delicious!



So, I COMPLETELY forgot to take a photo of all the ingredients before I started cooking, but here's what you'll need:

2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano and thyme (I used 3/4 tsp of each)
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (I used 1 quart of my own canned tomatoes instead of these 2 cans)
2 pounds store-bought ravioli
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

I also added 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce and 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (just to make it a little creamier).

Preheat oven to 425*.  Saute onions and garlic in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Add thyme/oregano and tomatoes.  Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Cook ravioli just until they float to the top. (Pasta will cook more in oven). Drain pasta and return to pot.  Toss sauce with pasta.  Pour into large baking dish and sprinkle with cheeses. (I actually mixed a little bit of the mozzarella in with the sauce.)



Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.

 


I also made this DELICIOUS and SO EASY!!! Whole Wheat Bread to go with it!

 

You really should try this bread!  It is the quickest bread recipe I've ever made!

Easy Whole Wheat Bread

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 c. gluten flour
1 1/4 T. yeast
Mix together.....and add:

2 1/2 cups hot water (not scalding...just barely "hot")

Stir and then cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Then add:
1 T. salt
1/3 cup honey or 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 c. oil
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
Beat one minute.

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour--Add one cup at a time to make a soft dough.

Preaheat oven for 2-3 minutes to lukewarm.  Turn off.

Turn dough onto oiled countertop and divide into 2 loaves.  Put in greased pans.  Let rise in warm oven for 15 minutes. Do not remove from oven. Turn oven on to 350* and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Try it...it is so yummy!  The gluten flour helps it to have a wonderful texture.  It is kindof pricey...but you don't go through it very fast!





No comments:

Post a Comment