Monday, September 28, 2009

Tortellini Spinach Soup

{Meatless Monday}

This is a very simple, very quick soup to make. I found this recipe is a magazine sometime last year. I did not expect my husband to like it (he normally doesn't care for brothy soups), but he loves it and so do I! I think that it tastes even yummier since it only takes about 12 min. to put on the table! I served it with slices of plain french bread...I didn't even have time to put garlic butter on it and heat it up. But the bread was just perfect for soaking up the broth and I think I will always serve it that way now.

Note: This recipe is not strictly vegetarian--but it is meatless. I haven't completely changed over to vegetable broths...but I am sure you could just use vegetable broth instead of the beef broth.

Here's what you will need:



And here's the SUPER simple recipe:

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T butter
Saute 3 minutes until golden brown.



2 cans beef broth (I use 3 c. water with 2 beef bouillon cubes)
8 oz. frozen tortellini or ravioli
Add and boil 8 minutes.
Another note: One time I did make this with store-bought broth, and it turned out too salty. That's why I only use 2 cubes to the 3 cups of water. So if you are buying broth, I might try the low sodium for at least one of the cans.

1 can (14.5 oz) seasoned stewed tomatoes (I used my own bottled tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped, if desired (I just put mine in whole)
Add and simmer for 5 min. more.

Grated Parmesan


Ladle into bowls and top with fresh parmesan. Serve with bread.

I love dinners that take 15 minutes to be on the table...that's often about all the time I have between soccer games and music lessons, etc.

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. reminds me of one that Kaleen and I used to make together.
    http://thats-life-enjoy-it.blogspot.com/2008/01/what-to-eat-wednesday-2-for-1.html

    ReplyDelete