Monday, October 5, 2009

Lotsa Green Lasagna

{Meatless Monday}

I've been wanting to try a vegetarian lasagna for some time now. I found this one online and thought it sounded pretty good. I've made one before with zucchini instead of the noodles and that went over like a ton of bricks! ; )

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of this one. It was very good and had a nice mixture of vegetables and cheeses. I meant to put in mushrooms (because we both love them so much), but I totally forgot to throw them in the saute.

This was a VERY hard recipe to follow...pretty confusing, actually, so I'm going to try to simplify a little bit!

This is what you will need:


12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to directions on box

1 T. olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup scallions (I used Green Onions)
1 1/2 garlic cloves, minced

Saute all vegetables in olive oil and set aside.

4 T flour
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz frozen spinach

In small saucepan, whip flour and milk together to make white sauce (you can start with the traditional butter and flour if you'd like). Remove from heat when thick and add parmesan, pepper and spinach. Set aside.

1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (I only had Colby Jack)
1/4 cup low fat goat cheese (I didn't have any, so I omitted this)

Mix the final 3 cheeses together.

So now you have 3 mixtures: the veggies, the spinach sauce, and the cheeses.

Start with a little spinach sauce on the bottom of your 9X13 pan then layer like this:
3 noodles
1/3 spinach sauce
1/3 veggies
1/4 cheese mixture
(I ended up just mixing these all around and spreading them evenly over the noodles...they certainly don't stay in distinct layers!)

Repeat that order 2 more times.

Top with remaining 3 noodles
Spread remaining 1/4 cheese sauce over the top layer of noodles. If it seems like there won't be enough, just add a little more cottage cheese and some milk to make it go farther.

Bake at 375* for 30-35 minutes. This is what mine looked like when it came out:


And this is how pretty and yummy it looked when I served it up:
(Well, I guess it only looks yummy if you love vegetables...so I'm sure at least one of my kids wouldn't describe it as yummy looking ; )


You can see mine only had 3 layers of noodles and it was not thick enough, so I've changed the recipe a little bit and made it have more layers.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good- I'll have to try this- Josh didn't like it too much when I did a veggie lasagna and substituted the zucchini for the noodles.. lol.. Maybe he'll like this one!

    ReplyDelete