Monday, October 12, 2009

Spinach Quiche

{Meatless Monday}

This is another recipe that I basically just throw together...especially tonight since I had a piano recital at my house (for FHE) and we sat down to dinner 30 minutes before everyone was to arrive!

I love to make these as individual quiches. I have these small pie pans that I got years ago that the kids think are so fun. I think I got them at Walmart...but I can't say that I've seen them recently. I LOVE to make individual apple pies in them...they are so cute.

Here's what you will need:



And here's the recipe:

6 eggs
2 cups milk or cream (I always just use milk, but it is really yummy with some whipping cream)
1/3 cup finely chopped green onion (you can use regular onion also)
1 cup chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
1 cup shredded cheese
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
You could always add mushrooms or peppers, too.

Prepare pie crust. (Tip for a flaky pie crust from Martha Stewart: reduce your shortening by two tablespoons and add 3-4 T of sliced COLD butter. Try it...it works!) Sprinkle onion, spinach and cheese in bottom of crust. Beat eggs, milk, and seasonings together. Pour into crust.
Here are the official baking instructions in my recipe book: Bake uncovered at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300. Bake until center in cooked, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
I normally just throw it in there at about 375. The large pie pan takes 50-60 minutes and that's why I love my small ones because they are done in about 30 minutes. I've even baked these in muffin tins before and those took 18-20 minutes. Just cook it until a knife comes out clean from the center.


Serve with salsa and enjoy! Tonight we ate these with some Mexican Cornbread that my aunt had made and shared with us. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment