Monday, April 16, 2012

Baked Spinach and Pea Risotto

{Meatless Monday}

This recipe was SO much easier than the other risotto I made a while back.  This one is baked...which means you put things in the pot/skillet, bring it to a boil, and then put it in your oven!  Instead of standing there stirring for 30 minutes straight!  This is definitely a keeper.  It has such a great flavor and is so easy to throw together.





Here's what you'll need:

2 T butter
1 shallot, chopped (I used a green onion)
6-8 mushrooms, sliced (I added this ingredient and I used Shiitake)
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used cooking wine)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup Arborio rice (I buy mine in the bulk section of WinCo)
1 cup frozen peas ( I warmed mine in a pot before mixing in)
2 cups roughly chopped spinach
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 425.  Heat the butter in a dutch oven or large ovenproof pot.  ( I just used my large skillet that can go straight into the oven.  I would LOVE a LaCreuset Dutch Oven...but that isn't happening anytime soon! ; )

Add shallot/onion, and mushrooms.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms shrink and brown.



Add the wine to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the broth and rice and bring to a full boil.



Cover the pot and transfer to HOT oven.  Cook until the rice is tender and creamy, 20-25 minutes.  (Mine was done in about 20-22 minutes)

 This is what it looked like when I took it out of the oven:


 Add the peas, spinach, and Parmesan.  Stir.  If it is too thick, add up to 1/4 cup hot water.  I ended up using at least 1/2 cup of water that the peas had been cooked in.   Top with more Parmesan, if desired.


This was so creamy and all my kids ate it really well.  I admit I did remove the mushrooms for the younger two.  They just don't love them and my husband and I don't want a single one wasted! ; )  We love them too much.
Enjoy!  And I hope you have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment