Monday, January 16, 2012

Mushroom Risotto

  {Meatless Monday}



This is the first recipe to be posted out of my new cookbook.  It is definitely a keeper.  We loved it.  The recipe called for white wine and though I am not against buying cooking wine, I just didn't want to bother. So I "googled" to find a substitute and one suggestion was Ginger Ale...so that's what I did!

I have actually never made a risotto before.  It did require a little time standing at the oven stirring in all the liquid...but it was well worth it!


This was the first time I have bought leeks and I really liked them.  The guy at the store told me they are just expensive onions and he thought that regular onions or green onions would be just the same.  So you can try either one of those too.

I couldn't find arborio rice at my grocery store, so I just used my long-grain white rice.  I have since been to Win-Co and bought arborio from their bulk bins, so I will be ready the next time I make this!

Here's what you need:
6 cups (48 oz) vegetable stock
2 cups white wine (I used Ginger Ale)
2 T olive oil
3 T butter
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 lb. mushrooms, sliced (I used less than one pound of Crimini mushrooms and it was great!)
1 lb. (2 cups) arborio rice
3/4 cup grated parmesan
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
balsamic vinegar and parsley, for garnish (I actually totally forgot this step ; )




Place the stock and wine (ginger ale) in a large saucepan and keep at simmering point on stovetop.










Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan.  Add the leek and cook over medium for 5 minutes, until soft and golden.  Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the rice and stir for 1-2 minutes until translucent.







1/2 cup hot stock, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed.  Continue adding the stock, a little at a time, stirring constantly over medium heat for 20-25 minutes...until the rice is tender and creamy.



So it is up to your preference if you use all the stock or if you need more water at the end.  Just keep adding about 1/2 cup at a time and stir until you like the consistency.  I used all of my stock and probably cooked it about 30 total minutes.  I really liked the sweet aftertaste that the ginger ale created.  It was just yummy!



Stir in the Parmesan and chopped parsley and heat for 1 minute.  Serve immediately, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and topped with more parmesan and parsley, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment