Monday, January 23, 2012

Tortellini with Nutty Cream Sauce

{Meatless Monday}





This was the very first recipe I tried out of my new cookbook and it was a keeper!  It was very simple (with frozen Tortellini) and pretty quick to put together.  The thing that took the longest was to shell the walnuts! ; )  We were given a box of walnuts about a year ago and every time I need some, we hurry and shell just enough...but we really should just have a shelling party and get them all done! ; )

I couldn't find a small package of pine nuts at my grocery store, so I just used almonds and walnuts since that is what I had.  It would be even more delicious with the pine nuts, I am sure!  Just more expensive.
 ; )  We really love nuts in our family and we loved it with walnuts and almonds.


 Here's what you'll need for this super simple meal...

1 lb. cheese tortellini or ravioli (I used frozen)
3 T butter
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts
2 T chopped fresh parsley
2 T chopped fresh thyme
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
3 T cream

Cook the tortellini according to directions. I always love the colored tortellini.


 Heat the butter in a large pan until foaming.  Add all nuts and stir for 5 minutes, until golden brown.  Add the parsley, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.




Beat the ricotta with the cream.  Toss the sauce and pasta together and top with ricotta cream.



I actually just mixed it all in and we really liked it that way.  Serve immediately.  I topped ours with a little more thyme and some shaved Parmesan cheese...because Parmesan cheese makes everything yummier!

No comments:

Post a Comment