Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sleepin' In Omelette

This is a fabulous recipe that I found on the Pioneer Woman's site a number of years ago.  It is a fabulous breakfast casserole...the BEST I've ever tasted.  So much flavor and so easy to throw together!

I thought I had posted this a long time ago...and I KNOW that at some point I had pictures of it...but I can't find them anymore.  I will take pics the next time I make it...or you can head HERE to see PW's post about it.  She has about 42 pictures! ; )   I have altered her recipe a bit (she seems to be able to eat unspeakable amounts of fat and not have it transfer directly to her hips).  ; )

Sleepin' In Omelette
6 whole Onion Rolls
1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
4 ounces (1/2 pkg) Cream Cheese--I use Nufchatel
6 T Butter
10 whole Eggs
2 cups Milk
1 teaspoon Chopped Chives
½ teaspoons Dry Mustard
½ teaspoons Salt
1 dash Cayenne Pepper


Butter a 9×13 baking dish.
Cut onion rolls into cubes and place on bottom of 9X13. Top with shredded cheese.  Cut cream cheese into small chunks and place all over the bread.  (I use two knives to slice and place the very sticky Nufchatel chunks.) Cut butter into thin pats and place over the top.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the top of everything. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, bake at 325 degrees, covered, for 45 minutes. Then remove foil and continue baking at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
**I find that it will cook more quickly if it has about an hour to sit on the counter before cooking.  Otherwise, just plan for a little extra cooking time.  I also have found that in order for it to be cooked all the way to the middle the edges and bottom get a little overdone.  But they are still so yummy...we eat every last bit of this casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment