Monday, March 14, 2011

Mushroom and Lima Bean Stew

{Meatless Monday}

OK...I'm not gonna lie to ya...this soup is uber-healthy!  I actually saw it in my Whole Living magazine and then a month or so later when my whole family was sick, I thought, "Wait a minute...didn't I see an article about certain recipes that help you fight off certain sicknesses?"  And sure enough...this soup was recommended for the flu.

It tasted so good to me.  Probably because I was sick and my body craved these good things.  

So while I am sure there would be a mutiny if you made this on a regular basis...just tuck it away in your memory for the next time you are down with fevers, chills, and body aches.  It was wonderful food "medicine".  And I am a definite believer in the power of food to aid in the healing of our bodies!


Serves 6-8 Makes 10 cups

1 cup dried lima beans (I used canned beans--I am challenged when it comes to soaking beans!)
2 Tbsp. extra-vrigin olive oil, plus more as needed
1 large onion, diced (2 cups)4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
8 oz. shitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced ( I used Cremini--COULD NOT pay the 12.99/lb.for the shitake!)8 oz. portobello mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces (this is easy!  trust me!)1 bay leaf
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stockFreshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch kale (8 oz.), stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (6 cups) (I love kale!)Kosher salt

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain. (Or just use canned beans!!) Heat oil in a large pot over medium flame. Add onions and garlic. Cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Turn heat to medium-high. Working in batches, add mushrooms; cook until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and add more oil to cook remaining mushrooms. Return mushrooms and onions-garlic to pot and add squash, beans, bay leaf, and stock. Season with pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover partially. Cook until beans are just tender, about 50 - 60 minutes. (If you use canned beans, just boil until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.)  Stir in kale and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt.




I know that this soup doesn't look especially yummy...but that broth was exactly what we needed!  I could have sipped a gallon!  So the next time you are sick, MAKE THIS SOUP...you'll thank me, I promise!! ; )


Per Serving: 302 calories; 1 g saturated fat; 6 g unsaturated fat; 0 mg chosterol; 49 g carb; 138 mg sodium; 17 g protein. Source: Whole Living Magazine ~ December 2010 issue

No comments:

Post a Comment