Monday, January 31, 2011

Corn and Butternut Squash Chowder

{Meatless Monday}

This is a very easy chowder to make and it has a wonderful creamy flavor (thanks to the CREAM!).
(not my photo...I completely forgot to get an finished shot!)




Here's what you need:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes.



 Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
In a blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low (do not boil).

See how simple?!  I love recipes that have very few instructions.  While I love to cook,  I don't love to be stuck in the kitchen every night for very long.  I tend to make my fancier meals on Sunday because we often have company.  But on the weeknights...it's all about getting in and getting OUT!!  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment