Monday, February 7, 2011

Artichoke Parmesan Sourdough Stuffing

{Meatless Monday}

MOVE OVER STOVETOP!!!



Oh my, we had this for Thanksgiving and it is definitely a keeper!!!  I am NOT a stuffing fan...never have been.  But that's just because my mom didn't use this recipe!! ; )

I found this recipe online through a blog that I follow and it just looked divine.  We've never had a certain stuffing recipe that was a tradition in our family...but NOW we do!

Here's what you need:
  • 1  pound  mushrooms, rinsed, ends trimmed, and sliced
  • 1  tablespoon  butter
  • 2  onions (3/4 lb. total), chopped
  • 1  cup  chopped celery
  • 2  tablespoons  minced garlic
  • About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1  loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
  • 2  jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1  cup  freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  poultry seasoning--I couldn't find this, so I left it out!
  • 1 1/2  tablespoons  minced fresh rosemary leaves or 3/4 tsp. crumbled dried rosemary
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1  large egg

In a frying pan over high heat, cook mushrooms, butter, onions, celery, and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a bit of broth to pan and stir to scrape up browned bits. Add to bowl.

Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add bread, artichoke hearts, parmesan, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in stuffing. Add egg and beat with a fork to blend; mix egg with stuffing.

 Preheat oven to 325° to 350° (use temperature turkey requires)

Spoon stuffing into a shallow 3-qt. (9- by 13-in.) casserole. (I ended up preferring it cooked on a cookie sheet...see below!) For moist stuffing, cover with foil; for crusty stuffing, do not cover.   Bake until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes.

Make ahead: Up to 1 day ahead, make stuffing, put in casserole, cover, and chill. Allow about 1 hour to bake.


NOTE: We both wanted a nice crusty stuffing, so I didn't cover it and it still turned out too sticky.  So the next time I make this, I am going to cook it on a cookie sheet instead of the 9X13.  I think that will help it to dry out a little bit more.  The chunks of sourdough are larger and so they won't completely dry out...they'll just get crunchy on the outside, but stay soft inside.  I can't wait to try it again!


Updated:  I got the chance to try it again and this time I cooked it on a cookie sheet completely uncovered and it was FABULOUS!!   This is what it looked like when I spooned it into a bowl.  It was heavenly...the bread chunks are large enough that they are lightly crunchy on the outside and still soft on the inside.  




No comments:

Post a Comment