Monday, August 30, 2010

Smashed Potato Soup

{Meatless Monday}

I have had this recipe for a long time.  I think I printed it out at BH&G.  And today, I was organizing my cupboard and came across it and luckily had (almost) all the ingredients.  AND it was a crock pot recipe--which was a MUST because my oven element totally burnt out the other day!!  It was really weird...flames and sparks and everything--and then when it was all cooled off, I reached down and touched it and it fell apart.  Crazy.
Thankfully, my mom and dad's house down the street is empty right now and I have been able to bake a couple of things in their oven...but other than that there's been lots of boiling and saute-ing going on around here!

This soup wasn't as good as I had hoped.  It needs something more...the next time, I think I will add in some onions and some seasoning salt. It calls for green onions at the end, but I think some regular onion cooking with the potatoes would help.  It just needed more flavor.  So I definitely suggest adding those things to the ingredient list!

Here's what you need:

3 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup chopped yellow and/or red pepper
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (could use more...or maybe fresh garlic)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used my vegetarian broth...I think it is not as salty as regular broth,
                                          so I added about 1/2 tsp. salt)
1/2 cup whipping cream, or light cream ( I used milk with a little light sour cream mixed in)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese---ooooh, some pepper jack would be super yummy too!
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

In crock pot:
Combine potatoes, sweet pepper, garlic, ONION, pepper, and seasoning salt (1/2 tsp?) .  Pour broth over all.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs OR on high for 4-5 hrs.
Mash potatoes slightly with a potato masher.  Stir in cream, cheese, and green onions.  If desired, garnish with more green onions and cheese.
 It is very colorful and pretty and it would be a lot more flavorful with the yummy additions I suggested.
Depending on how you like your soups, you can thicken this one a little with a small amount of flour whisked with water and then added for the last 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment