Monday, February 8, 2010

Creamy Rice with Peas and Mushrooms

{Meatless Monday}

I got this recipe out of Kraft Food and Family magazine that (sadly) used to be free but now is not!  I am just glad that I have at least a dozen old issues in my possession.  They are great for quick and easy ideas.
This recipe is a wonderful one to use up leftover rice.  The recipe actually calls for Minute Rice, but I have always just used leftover rice.

I was in a great hurry the night I cooked this for my family, so I didn't even pause to take a "before" picture of any ingredients! ; )

This is the recipe out of the magazine.  I will explain how I did it a little differently as I go through it.

Creamy Rice with Peas and Mushrooms:
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup Italian dressing (I used sun-dried tomato vinaigrette)
1 pkg (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth  (I really need to find a good vegetable broth!)
1 cup peas (I used almost 2 cups)
2 c. Minute Rice, uncooked (I use leftover rice and use about one cup less broth)
4 oz cream cheese (I use nufchatel--less calories and fat!)
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated


Cook onion in dressing 4-5 minutes. (I extend the cooking time a little so that the onions are softer.  Nothing incites riot at the dinner table like crunchy onions!)

Add mushrooms.  Cook 3-4 minutes until tender.  Add broth (use only 1/2 cup if rice is already cooked) and peas.  Bring to boil.  Add rice and cream cheese.  Cover.  Remove from heat.  Let stand 8 minutes.  Stir in lemon peel and parmesan before serving.

 
I happen to have peppers coming out my ears, so I sauteed some up and put them over the top.  They were delicious!!  ...at least to me and my hubby!


***I add my rice at the same time as the cream cheese, but I just stir and heat until it is warmed through.  If your rice is already cooked, then you don't have to let it stand so it can absorb all the liquid.  If you happened to use a little too much broth, just keep it on the stove and let it boil off a bit.  This is a really easy recipe that turns out great every time.
Go easy on the lemon peel if you don't love that flavor.  And be warned:  your leftovers will taste more like lemon as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment