Monday, July 13, 2009

SUPER Simple Mexican Haystacks

{Meatless Monday}

I thought it would be a good idea to share some REALLY simple vegetarian meals...those ones that you throw together in 10 minutes and eat before you rush out the door. This is one that we do a lot. There are A LOT of variations on this, but this is the basic recipe. These are the ingredients:




These are staples in our pantry: Nalley's Vegetarian Chili and Vegetarian Refried Beans. (One easy way to eat less meat is to look for vegetarian varieties of the things you already buy.) They are both delicious and useful in many quick meals on those busy nights. These are always on the same sales as the regular chili and beans and I don't notice that they taste any different. I will admit that we aren't big chili fans, so we don't eat this much by itself. It is always mixed up with other things. Another big bonus is that the vegetarian stuff often has MUCH less fat!

For these haystacks, I mix the chili and beans together and we put it over rice (I had about 6 cups of leftover rice that needed to be used!) and then we put cheese and chips on top. The funny thing was that I thought I had sour cream...so I put it in the picture. And then when I opened it up, it was actually our leftover fruit dip from the 4th of July!! We normally have sour cream and black olives as toppings also. You could do onions also if you wanted.




There is NO meal faster than this, all my kids love it, and it is super cheap!

Another way I serve this (that is almost vegetarian ; ) is with a 4-can mix of Vegetarian Chili, Vegetarian Refried Beans, Pork and Beans, and Black Beans. We use this mix over rice and cornbread ALL the time. I know that the Pork and Beans sounds kind of weird, but it gives it a sweeter flavor.

This coming week, I am going to try a Black Bean Burger recipe that a friend emailed me...so I'll post the results next Monday! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment