Monday, July 6, 2009

Ravioli with Pesto

{Meatless Monday}

I got this recipe from Family Circle sometime in the last year. I thought it was the perfect thing to make using our first head of broccoli from the garden. It took forever to grow the first main head and now the plant is producing more than I know what to do with! Just a week ago, these florets were about the size of a quarter.




OK, Here's what you'll need:





1 tsp. oil
2 c. sliced mushrooms
1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
4 c. broccoli florets
1/3 c. water
1 c. baby spinach leaves
1/4-1/3 c. pine nuts
1/3-1/2 c. grated parmesan
1/3-1/2 c. olive oil
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
1/8-1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2-1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (25 oz.) package frozen cheese ravioli

Heat oil in skillet and saute mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add peppers, broccoli, and water. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes. Set aside.




Take 1 c. cooked broccoli from skillet and combine in food processor or blender with spinach, pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic to your taste.
Cook and drain ravioli according to directions...drain, but reserve 1/2 c. water. (I like to do this while I am making the pesto so that they can be hot.)
Stir veggies and 1/2-2/3 cup pesto mix into hot ravioli, using reserved water, if desired. Serve immediately.
I love to top things with a little fresh parmesan!




I did make a couple changes to the recipe. I didn't want to use up all my pine nuts, so I substituted half with walnuts. (You can also use sliced almonds in pesto!) And even though this is meant to be a non-traditional pesto...meaning no basil...I just couldn't resist since we have these beautiful plants flourishing in our garden:




So I did chop up about 3 fresh basil leaves and tossed them in the pesto, too. Any of you who live near me...stop on by and I'll be happy to give you a few for your own pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment