Monday, October 8, 2012

Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas

{Meatless Monday}

When I saw this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens, I just knew I had to try it out.  I am sure by now you know my undying love for roasted vegetables! ; )


I was curious how the chickpeas would be...and also curious how my husband would like them because he is not normally a fan.  But we both loved them in this recipe.

I planned on serving this with some rice, but since my husband still hates brown rice (someday I hope that will change) and since I am trying to avoid white rice as much as possible, I cooked up some Pearl Barley.  It has a very different texture than either brown or white rice, but for some reason he prefers the barley over brown rice.

It is a very simple dinner to make because most of the time, the veggies are just in the oven!

Here's what you'll need:

1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-2" pieces
1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large red onion, peeled, halved and cut into wedges
1 lb. red potatoes, cut into cubes
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 16 oz can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
2-3 T vegetable or olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 425*. Place all vegetables, garlic, and chickpeas in roasting pan (or cookie sheet). Combine the oil, rosemary, sugar, salt, and pepper.  Drizzle over vegetables; toss well to coat.


Roast uncovered about 45 minutes or until lightly brown and tender, stirring twice.


You could eat this alone as a side dish, or serve or rice or barley as a main dish.  I think next time I would makeup a little more sauce and save some to drizzle over the whole dish just before serving...just to give it a little more liquid.  I always love rice or barley covered in a yummy sauce.

If desired, top each serving with parmesan cheese and additional rosemary.




No comments:

Post a Comment