Monday, September 17, 2012

Tomato and Zucchini Linguine

{Meatless Monday}

This is another recipe from Everyday Food back in 2006.  It is a very simple dish.


Here's what you need:

course salt and pepper
3/4 pound whole wheat linguine
2 T olive oil
1 small red onion, halved and cut into 1/2" slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 zucchini, halved crosswise and cut into 1/4" sticks
2 plum tomatoes, quartered and cut into strips
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese


Cook pasta according to directions.  Meanwhile, heat 1 T oil in a pan.  Add onion and garlic; cook 5-7 minutes until softened.  Add zucchini and 1/2 cup water.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and cook until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.



The original recipe had you add the tomatoes once your stirred it all in with the pasta, but I prefer my tomatoes at least a little bit cooked, so I tossed them in for a few minutes with the onion and zucchini.

Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.  Return pasta to pot and add zucchini mixture, remaining 1 T oil, 1/2 cup parmesan and the reserved  pasta water to your desired taste.  Season with more salt and pepper and toss.




Serve immediately, topped with more Parmesan.

We liked this one alright this first night we made it.  I think if I make it again, I will add just a splash of half and half or something creamy with the veggies right before I mix them with the pasta.  In my opinion, it needed just a little more sauce...just a little more creaminess to set off the yummy sautéed vegetables.

But what we LOVED about this recipe is what I did with the leftovers on the next night!
Stay tuned...for next Meatless Monday! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment