Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Easy Vegetarian Lasagna

{Meatless Monday}..... on Tuesday  ; )  oops....

I call this lasagna "easy" because you can simply throw in whatever vegetables you want or whatever you happen to have in your fridge.

Today I used:

zucchini squash
summer squash
mushrooms
red pepper
red onion
carrots
spinach

I have a complete and utter LOVE of roasted red onion.  I don't know why...but I seriously can't stop eating it.  I bought the HUGEST red onion I have ever seen...and ended up wishing I had bought two.
YUM!

I started by slicing the ginormous onion, drizzled olive oil over it and lightly salt and peppered. I put it under the broiler in the oven--probably for about 10 minutes, stirring half way.  I like to broil them until some of them are blackened on the edges and they taste caramelized.

Then I sautéed the red pepper in a good amount of olive oil for a bit while I let the carrots boil in their own little pot.  I knew they would need so much more cooking than my other veggies to be soft, so I cooked them alone until they were tender.

Then I added the mushrooms and squashes to the red pepper with a little water and a good amount of salt and pepper.  Then when they were all tender and the onion was done roasting, I mixed them all together (including the drained carrots) and stirred in a couple handfuls of roughly chopped spinach.

This picture was actually taken before the spinach was added...so just don't look too closely! ; )

 I had a hard time not just eating this whole pan.  And it was a big pan...enough for two lasagnas!  ; )
In fact, this is pretty much what I ate for lunch since I was cooking them all up just before noon.


Then I simply had my cooked lasagna noodles and layered them with store-bought Ragu spaghetti sauce, and cheddar and mozzarella.

If you want a creamier lasagna, you can also stir one egg into 1-2 cups of cottage cheese and spread that evenly throughout the layers.  I completely meant to do that...but I was too busy tasting and nibbling and I lost my focus! : )

I never got a picture of it cooked...because dinner time gets so crazy.  But this would be a wonderful and easy thing to make a day ahead, or make multiples and pop one in the freezer!



No comments:

Post a Comment