Monday, December 12, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup

{Meatless Monday}

Hope your Monday has been a good one!!  Mine was pretty good...I just know that I ALWAYS have huge expectations of all the things I want to do.  And it's all very unrealistic...but for some reason, I repeat it every week!  ; )

This soup is a FAVORITE in our family.  Especially when I make bread bowls.  All my kids LOVE eating their soup in bread bowls, but unfortunately, I don't always have time to make them.  So it is quite a treat when I do!



Here's what you'll need:

3 cups broth
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped
3-4 med. potatoes, diced



Boil all together until vegetables are tender...about 20-25 minutes.

Meanwhile...  make a white sauce...

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
2 cups milk

1 1/2-2 cups cheese (a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar is best...I also love a little pepper jack!)

Melt butter in saucepan until just slightly browned.  Stir in flour until paste is made.  Whisk in milk and stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens.

At this point, you can add the cheese to the sauce...  Or you can add the sauce to the veggies and THEN add the cheese.  Basically, you just stir everything together, add extra milk if necessary and season with salt and pepper.  If you want it chunky, leave as-is.  But if you want it creamy, grab your potato masher and go to town until the soup is your favorite consistency!

Serve in a delicious homemade bread bowl and top with extra cheese.  This is often requested for birthday dinners by our children.  There is just something extra special about your very own bread bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment