Monday, June 6, 2011

Greek Spinach-Pasta Salad

{Meatless Monday}

I got this one from my Better Homes and Gardens magazine...love that magazine!  I have been subscribing for well over a decade and I just don't think I'll ever stop!  ; )

Here's what you need for this salad:

6-oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach
1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), snipped
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh oregano
1 T fresh lemon thyme or thyme
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
12 oz. dried cavatappi (twist) or farfalle (bowtie) pasta
 Shaved or shredded parmesan


In a large serving bowl combine spinach, beans, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, garlic, lemon peel and juice, oil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover; let stand at room temperature while preparing pasta or up to 2 hours; stirring occasionally. 


Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Toss cooked pasta and pasta water with spinach salad mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
I only had elbow macaroni the first time I made it, but have since made it with the twist pasta and I liked it better.  This is a light and fresh salad that is perfect for summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment