Monday, November 15, 2010

Quick Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

Hello!  Another crazy Monday has come to an end, and I realized that I hadn't done a post.  And it has to be quick because I have to wake up in 7 hours and 20 minutes from right now!  ; )

This is a very quick, very hearty bread that I found on a blog called New Nostalgia.
This is before it was baked...it is very crusty and delicious with soups.

My family loves it and I added a few things to the original recipe, so I thought I would share it here.

Quick Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread
1 cup rolled oats, blended to flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T flax seeds
2 T sunflower seeds
2 T whole rolled oats (not blended)

Combine dry ingredients together.  The last 3 on the list are my add-ins. Those measurements are very approximate, since I just dump a little in from my containers! : 0

1 1/2 T honey
1 T. vegetable oil
1 cup milk

Steel cut oats, for top

Warm liquid mixture slightly in microwave (30-40 seconds) and add into dry.  Add a little more flour to make a sticky ball.  (It can take up to another full cup of flour)  Sprinkle cornmeal on your pan to prevent sticking.  Place ball on pan and press steel cut oats into the top, if desired.



Bake at 400* for 20-22 minutes.    ***I like to make it into two smaller balls so that they cook in the middle a little easier.  Or I double the recipe for my whole family and make 3 balls.***
I never got a picture of it cooked....but it is yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment