Monday, November 1, 2010

Burritos with Squash and Goat Cheese

{Meatless Monday}

Since ours did not turn out looking quite as yummy as they really were, I thought I would share the picture from Martha Stewart...maybe that will help you want to make them more! ; )
If you make them, and they actually LOOK this good...please tell me your secrets!!


1 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 package (10 oz) frozen winter squash, thawed ( I used a fresh butternut squash***)
2 cans black beans, drained
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
salt and pepper
8 Tortillas
5 oz. crumbled goat cheese (I found some at Walmart for the same price as feta!)
1/2 cup salsa


***I cut the squash in half, placed it in a 9X13 pan with a little bit of water, covered it with foil and baked for 35-40 minutes at 350*.  Then I let it cool and scooped out and chopped the squash.

In a large skillet, heat oil and add onion, garlic, and cumin.  Cook for 5-6 minutes until tender.  Add squash and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Stir in beans and spinach.  Cook until warmed through, 4-6 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.


Steam tortillas in the microwave (with damp paper towels).  Take a tortilla, sprinkle goat cheese and then salsa down the middle of the tortilla and then fill with bean mixture.  Wrap into a burrito.  Cut in half and serve with salsa.
These had a yummy creamy taste to them.  I really liked the goat cheese...it has a milder taste than feta, which would be fine in these also!  My older kids really liked these.  Even my oldest (who doesn't love veggies much) thought they had a good flavor.  They were an unexpected combination--that is what made me interested to try the recipe.

As my husband was finishing his up, he said, "Well...that one's a keeper!"  And our daughter looked at him with the most horrified expression...I guess she didn't agree.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment