Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Spaghetti with Savoy Cabbage

{Meatless Monday}

Better late than never??  ; )

This recipe was quite a surprise!  I saw it and thought it looked interesting...so I tore it out of my Martha Stewart Living magazine.  It was on the side of my fridge for many months, when I finally had half a head of cabbage that needed to be used and I remembered this recipe.

I did not use Savoy cabbage...I just used the plain cabbage from the grocery store.


I really liked the cabbage once it was sautéed.  And the breadcrumbs really added to the flavor.  I took their suggestion and topped the whole bowl with some fried eggs.  And we ended up really liking it.  In fact.... (drum roll, please....)  ALL of my kids ate their plate full without a word of complaint and my youngest asked for seconds and thirds!  That sealed the deal...it's a KEEPER!

Here's what you need!


  • 8 ounces spaghetti or angel hair pasta
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced or minced
  • 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (I just used our own whole wheat bread)
  • 9 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage (from 1 medium head)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce), plus more for garnish
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

  • Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions.  Drain, but 
  • reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
  • Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in breadcrumbs. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.  Set aside.  
  • Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until tender, about 4 minutes. Uncover, and let any water in the skillet evaporate. Stir in cream. Cook until sauce is reduced and thick enough to coat cabbage, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.



  • Add pasta and reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to cabbage. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top, and garnish with more cheese.  Top with fried eggs, if desired.








  •  If I were serving this for someone other than my family, I would have fried the eggs in a prettier fashion.  But I just threw four eggs in the breadcrumb skillet (so they'd have all that yummy flavoring), then basically cut them apart to flip and then top off the bowl.  Here's what it looked like before I served it.


    I loved that most of the liquid was water and pasta water with just a few tablespoons of the cream.  I really can't wait to make this again.  Try it...it is really quite easy and I loved the different textures.  And best of all...there was no mutiny at the dinner table!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment