Monday, August 15, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Veggies

{Meatless Monday}



This is another great one from Better Homes and Gardens!  This was actually the winner for the Weeknight Vegetarian category in their January 2011 issue.  I have just recently learned how to buy good asparagus and how to cook it correctly, so I am loving this recipe!  I hated asparagus as a child...but I think my mother boiled it.  I love it now....sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic!  Mmmm. 

Here's what you need for this one:
I doubled this recipe and used 8 oz of regular linguine and 8 oz. of whole wheat.

8 oz. dried fettuccine or linguine (I totally prefer the linguine)
1/2 c. dried tomatoes, not oil packed, chopped
4 T butter
1 T olive oil
4 oz. fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
4 oz. fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
2 tsp shredded lemon peel


Cook pasta according to package directions, adding dried tomatoes the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and return to saucepan; keep warm.  I used half regular and half whole wheat and really liked it!


 Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  I chose to roast my Brussels sprouts with a little olive oil and salt and pepper before tossing them in the skillet.  I just put them under the broiler in my oven for about 15-20 min.

Mmm...see those little browned edges on the sprouts...those are my favorite parts!

Remove vegetables from skillet; set aside.

In the same skillet melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Gently stir in pasta and vegetables. Stir in additional milk to reach desired consistency. Sprinkle with lemon peel and additional shredded Parmesan cheese.

 This was so yummy with all the different vegetables.  I am starting to be obsessed with asparagus....  It is so yummy when cooked well!

No comments:

Post a Comment