Monday, May 2, 2011

Southern-Style Veggie Sliders

{Meatless Monday}

I love it when I find a recipe that is a total KEEPER!!  These look kind of strange at first glance!  I had the hardest time finding canned Black Eyed Peas at Walmart...and I think I've maybe used one recipe in my life that called for them.

This recipe was the 2nd place winner in BH&G for Veggie burgers.  It was so good, I can't wait to try the 1st place winner: Greek Spinach Veggie Burgers.  Mmmm.  Anything with feta is my friend!

My family loved these.  EVERYONE ate them and wanted more!  To actually get through dinner without any complaints is such a miracle...I might make these on a weekly basis!  I served them on my own homemade rolls that I had toasted in the oven...so I think that made them extra yummy!

The slightly spicy mayonnaise adds a yummy twist...but it wasn't even too hot for my little ones.

So if you've never tried a veggie burger...you really should try this one!!  BUT,  you have to know that they in NO way taste like a burger in flavor or texture.  But they are super yummy in their own right.  My husband liked them so much he suggested that I make up a huge batch, shape them into patties and then freeze them for him...instead of buying those expensive Boca burgers.  I think when I go to Walmart today, I will snag a few cans of Black Eyed Peas and try it out!!



So, here's what you need: 
2  15- to 16-oz. cans  black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained 
1    egg, lightly beaten 
1/2  cup  finely chopped red sweet pepper 
1/4  cup  fine dry bread crumbs 
1/4  cup  finely chopped celery
3    green onions, finely chopped 
1/2  tsp.  garlic salt 
2  Tbsp.  olive oil 
1/2  cup  mayonnaise 
1  tsp.  Cajun seasoning ****See recipe below****
12-16   soft dinner rolls, split and toasted
    Lettuce leaves

  In large bowl mash black-eyed peas with a potato masher.



Add egg, sweet pepper, bread crumbs, celery, green onions, and garlic salt; mix well.



Shape bean mixture into twelve to sixteen  1/2-inch-thick patties about 3 inches in diameter. (One tip I have read is to refrigerate these for 30-60 minutes...she said it helped them not fall apart as much when you cook them.)






   In large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium heat. Add half of the patties to the hot oil. Cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through, turning once. (I did mine all at once in my HUGE skillet.) Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.  (I cooked them until they were well browned and a little crispy on each side...just to give them a little more "bite".)



   In small bowl stir together mayonnaise and Cajun seasoning.


Spread cut side of each roll with the mayonnaise mixture. Place a burger on bottom half of each roll; top with lettuce and add roll top. Makes 12-16 sliders (6 servings).


***Cajun Seasoning Recipe***
I am not about to go to the store and spend $5 on some special mix of spices, so I simply googled Cajun seasoning and then mixed up some of my own.  Here is a link if you want to make a larger portion of it to keep in your cupboard:  Cajun Seasoning

I just basically made a small batch of it...here's what I used:
3/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. ground thyme (I just chopped up my regular thyme)
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. dried oregano

Mix all up in a bowl.  This made enough for at least 2 or 3 recipes of the burgers.


I hope you will be adventurous and try these!!  They really are yummy and easy to put together.  I love having a new recipe that is so different from our normal fare.  We eat a lot of pasta...and lots of the new recipes I try are pastas, so I am happy to add a yummy veggie burger into the mix!

3 comments:

  1. Yum. THese sound good. We love the black bean burgers... Josh is always begging me to make those, so I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone loved them- I made them for lunch. I wondered how it would be to use the george foreman grill next time ...
    Now it's time for dinner and I am going to go find something else from you to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you loved them! I have made them a few times and we love the flavor!

    ReplyDelete