Monday, April 4, 2011

Smoky Split Pea Soup

{Meatless Monday}...cheater version ; )


OK...I made this soup the other night and took all my own photos...but NONE of them look anywhere near as good as the photo from the magazine!
This is theirs:


And this is how mine ended up looking:
(But I don't have a profession food designer working at my house, right?)
They don't even look like the same soup!!  ; )  Oh well....

So I just thought I would give you the link to this recipe:  Smoky Split Pea Soup 
I found it in Vegetarian Times...I think a friend had given me a couple of her old issues.

 It is a VERY healthy soup.   I have always loved split peas...so if you don't, this might not be for you!  I had a hard time getting my split peas as soft as I wanted, so I would recommend letting them soak all day and overnight and then use them the next evening for your soup.  Next time I make it, I am going to try blending a little bit of the soup and then stirring it back in for a more creamy texture.  My blender was all taken apart for cleaning yesterday, so I didn't want to bother.

This soup is very easy...you just have to remember to start your peas soaking the DAY BEFORE you want to use them.  I just put them in a bowl, covered them with water, and then left them alone!

One more note:  I would recommend topping with parmesan cheese (that's what we did).  It just gives it a little extra flavor.  Oh...and DON'T lick the spoon that you use to scoop up your chopped chipotles 'cuz those things are HOT!  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment