Monday, March 28, 2011

Mushroom Poblano Enchiladas

{Meatless Monday}

This was a stretch for me...mostly because it called for Tofu, and I have never cooked with tofu before!  My husband has, but I have steered clear of it until now!  (Although a friend has a recipe for Tofu Parmesiana that she says it amazing and I am planning on trying it soon!)

I have also never bought Poblano peppers before...so I had to ask the produce guy about those ones! ; )

Here's what you need:

6 oz. firm tofu
1 small poblano pepper
Vegetable oil
1 8-oz. pkg. sliced cremini mushrooms
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese (4-oz.)  **I recommend Pepper jack...it just needed a little more kick to it.  The flavors weren't really  strong enough for me!
8 corn tortillas
Chopped tomato and green onion (optional)
Drain tofu; cut in cubes. 
Stem and seed poblano; cut in strips. In skillet heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add tofu, peppers, mushrooms, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt. 
Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until mushrooms and peppers are tender, turning occasionally. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Preheat broiler. Lightly oil 9 X 13 pan, set aside. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and softened. Spoon mushroom filling into tortillas; fold over and place in prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. 
Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Top with tomato and green onion. Makes 4 servings.

Note:  I actually made these ahead in the afternoon and covered them with foil in the fridge.  I baked them, covered, at 350* for about 20 minutes and then removed the foil and broiled them for 2-3 minutes.  




 By the way...this is my new favorite salad dressing!!  Inspired by the Pomegranate Vinaigrette that you get at Wendy's with their Apple Pecan Salad (TO. DIE. FOR.), but since I can't afford it every day...I went to the store in search of a good substitute and this is IT!  It is delicious...and unfortunately, my two little ones love it too!  In fact, the other morning while I was neglecting my son busy getting acquainted with my new little toy (iPad!!), I came out into the loft to find him trying to clean up a lovely little spot of this dressing in my carpet. He had filled a bowl with spinach, absolutely drenched it with this dressing, and then brought it upstairs...grrr. Luckily, it came out fine! (I know, I know...I really should keep an eye on my son!)  

Not only does this dressing taste fabulous...it only has 5 grams of fat per serving which is easily half what normal dressings have.  Now I just have to pray that Wish Bone doesn't discontinue it.  I swear, whenever I fall in love with something...it stops getting made!!

No comments:

Post a Comment