Monday, May 24, 2010

Jumbo Stuffed Shells

{Meatless Monday}

This recipe is actually my manicotti recipe...but I have been putting it in shells lately.  Mostly because I noticed that you get more shells for your money!  ; )

You'll need:

1 12 oz pkg of jumbo shells
4 cups cottage cheese (or ricotta)
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I was all out--so it's not in any of my pics)
1 egg (I actually added 2 eggs...but I suggest only one)
1 T chopped fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Spinach--chopped--about 2 cups
garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt
3 cups (about 1 jar) spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 375.  Boil pasta according to directions and drain.  Lay shells out on wax paper so they don't stick to each other.

In a 9X13 pan, spread about 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce.

Mix together all remaining ingredients (except spaghetti sauce).

 I used 2 eggs, but it turned out a little bit runny...I don't know if that was because of the egg or because I used some fat free cottage cheese.  I don't normally put any egg into my manicotti mixture...so you could just leave it out!

I always end up throwing some of these three into lots of things I make...just to season it up a little.


Fill each shell with about 2 T cheese mixture.  Layer half of the shells in the pan, spread 1/2 of remaining sauce over, then layer the rest and top with sauce.  Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.  Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Even though mine turned out a little runny this time, it had a very yummy flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment