Monday, August 24, 2009

Spinach Phyllo Pie

{Meatless Monday}

This is a recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday Food. I've never made anything like this...never bought Phyllo dough before. (The package actually has phyllo in parentheses under the Fillo...now idea why they do that!)

Here's what you'll need:




2 T olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 pkg. (20 oz. each) fresh baby spinach (I used frozen from our garden)
1 cup crumbled feta (4 oz.)
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped (you will not see these in my photo--I HATE raisins!)
20 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed and cut to 8x12 if necessary

In a medium pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until golden, about 4 min. Add garlic and cook 1 min. Transfer to large bowl.
Return pan to heat. Working in batches, cook spinach until wilted, about 1 min. Drain spinach and let cool. Press out moisture and roughly chop. Add spinach, feta, and raisins to bowl with onions and season mixture with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350*. Unroll Phyllo. Place 1 sheet on a work surface (keep remaining sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel to prevent drying); brush with oil. Lay another sheet on top and brush with oil. Repeat until you have 10 layers of phyllo. Spread half of filling lengthwise down middle of phyllo stack. Roll into a log, brushing the seam with oil before sealing. Brush log with oil. Using a sharp knife, make 8 diagonal cuts on top. Repeat to make 2nd log.


Place logs, seam side down, on an oiled baking sheet. Bake until deep golden brown, 40-45 minutes.



Cut into slices along slashes. Serve warm or at room temperature.


You can see my two logs look very different...one of them I folded in thirds and one of them I rolled up....take your pick!

My two oldest kids and I thought these were very yummy...but my husband just thought they were OK. I would have liked some finely chopped walnuts in these, but I was all out.

Now I can't wait to make some Baklava with my leftover phyllo!

No comments:

Post a Comment